Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport to pace 101st Indianapolis 500
A Chevrolet Corvette will once again lead the field of 33 to green for the start of the Indianapolis 500 — this time, it’s a Corvette Grand Sport.
This marks the 14th time a Corvette has served as the official pace car, a tradition that began in 1978, and the 28th time a Chevrolet has paced the field dating back 1948. In fact, no other vehicle has served as the pace car more than the Corvette.
“Chevrolet is proud to once again pace the Indianapolis 500,” said Steve Majoros, marketing director for Chevy cars and crossovers. “The Corvette Grand Sport’s performance capability and motorsports heritage make it the perfect choice to pace The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.”
The latest Corvette to pace the field is equipped with the Z07 engine package that can accelerate from 0-60 in 3.6 seconds, cover a quarter-mile in 11.8 seconds and achieve 1.2g cornering capability.
Chevrolet was founded in 1911, the same year the inaugural Indianapolis 500 was contested. Co-founder Louis Chevrolet, alongside brothers Arthur and Gaston, competed in several early 500-mile races.
Arthur raced in 1911, and Gaston won in 1920.
“Chevrolet and Indianapolis are inextricably linked, sharing one of the longest racing heritages in all of motorsports,” said J. Douglas Boles, president of Indianapolis Motor Speedway. “We are proud of the longstanding relationship between Chevrolet and the Speedway, and we love having the Corvette Grand Sport lead the 500 field to the green flag.”
Chevrolet is pursuing its sixth consecutive IndyCar manufacturer championship this year, building on a successful 2016 season that featured 14 wins out of 16 races.
Here are the key features of the car that will pace the 101st Indianapolis 500:
- 460-hp (343 kW) LT1 direct-injected V8 engine with dry-sump oiling and active exhaust
- Eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission
- Equipped with the available carbon-fiber ground effects package
- Specific Grand Sport wheel design: 19 x 10-inch (front) and 20 x 12-inch (rear)
- Standard magnetic ride control, specific stabilizer bars and unique springs
- Standard electronic limited-slip differential
- Includes the available Z07 package, with carbon ceramic-matrix brake rotors and 285/30ZR-19 (front) and 335/25ZR-20 (rear) high-performance tires
- Brembo carbon-ceramic brake system with 15.5-inch (394mm) rotors with six-piston calipers in front and 15.3-inch (380mm) rotors with four-piston calipers in rear
- Unique Indy 500 graphics package